Building a raised garden bed can be very practical when it comes to growing a flower or vegetable garden. By building a raised garden bed means less bending over making much easier on the back. More avid gardeners prefer to have their own garden beds on their property so that it is easier for them to grow flowers and any vegetables that they are thinking of planting.
There are many advantages to having a garden bed, including being a barrier against any unwanted pests that may find their way into your garden and therefore, protecting your plants.
A lot of people are deciding to turn their attention towards recycled materials that can be used for projects like this so that they can help improve the environment.
Read on to find out how to construct your own garden bed.
The plan was designed by Sage Gardeners which I love and am sure you will too.
- 10 – 2 x 6 x 10′ long
- 2 – 4 x 4 x 8′ long
- about 2 lbs or 3″ wood screws
- wood glue
- weed mat
- approximate cost depending on your location:- $252.
- mitre saw – 12″ recommended
- circular saw – (optional)
- impact driver – (optional)
- orbital sander
- Kreg -Jig – (optional)
- speed square, tape measure, ruler, ear protection, dust mask
Size Of The Raised Garden Bed
The size of this bed measures 4′ x 6′ long about 2′ high.
Of course, a raised garden bed can be built any size. The trim around to top works great to sit on, place your coffee cup on or great for placing your garden tools.
- Begin by cutting the top boards from 2 x 6″ boards – cut to length and mitre the ends.
- Layout the 2 x 6″ boards and cut the side boards. (cut 4 boards per side)
- Measure in 5″ from each end and attach two 4 x 4″ to each side.
- Layout the 2 x 6″ boards and cut the end pieces of the box (need 4 boards per end)
- Attach a 4 x 4″ to the centre of the ends.
- Attach the two sides and ends together using 3″ wood screws.
- Assemble the top frame with glue on the mitres and screwed together with 3″ screws.
- Place the top frame on top of the box and attach with 3″ screws
- Using your palm sander, and the top frame and corners smooth.
- You can now place your garden where you want it, line with weed mat and fill with dirt.